Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Love That Sticks

The following has been on my mind for a while now. Please prepare for a fist full of truth to come straight to your throat.

Right now, on the local Christian radio station, KSBJ (cue the singing jingle - kay ess bee jaaaaaayyy!), there's this movement called "Love That Sticks". The nitty-gritty of it is to encourage people to leave nice, affirming, sticky notes around the city for whomever - co-workers, friends, waiters, strangers, etc.

I love this.

I am a huge proponent of affirmations. If "Affirmations" were a company, I would be employed as the Public Relations representative.

This "movement" is what every person needs. Who doesn't want to be told they are good? Granted, I understand that some people do not know how to accept compliments, but come on. I can tell a serious different in my own attitude when I make a conscious effort to affirm others. And I'm not talking about "you're awesome" or "stay cool" or any other lame-sauce yearbook-ism. I'm talking real-deal affirmations. Taking note of a specific thing you see that is good in another person. It's like seeing "God" in someone else. And isn't that what we're supposed to do? I've heard that that's what loving someone is...seeing God in that person...affirming their inherent goodness in a real and tangible way.

I'll be honest, I hate not being affirmed. I haven't felt very affirmed much in the past few months. Now, don't take this to mean that I'm looking for compliments. I love to be told that I'm good. Most people do. I know my goodness comes from God, but it makes a difference to hear it from a truly audible voice that others can hear too. That's not meant to sound needy or egotistical. I mean that sometimes, it means the world to hear that you're beautiful, or funny, or wise, or appreciated. But the world we live in is uncomfortable at telling someone they're good. I think it's seen as a weakness. That's malarkey. Horse manure. Bull honkey. [Insert your own term here]. I believe, it's a strength.

Think about it. In Genesis, after God had created everything, he found it "very good". He spoke life into the world. We can speak life into the hearts of those we meet with a simple "love that sticks".


There have been studies done in the past with people undergoing organ transplants are more likely to survive and thrive if they have a good support system around them to build them up and assist during troublesome times. Their transplanted organs are more likely to bond to their bodies and their bodies are less likely to reject the organ. You can translate this to mean, if you are going through anything at all and have people around you to build you up, you are more likely to persevere and overcome, and to come to know that you are loved by God and that other person, if you will. (And I will.) Words bring life. Or on the flip-flop, words can destroy life...but we'll leave that for another time.



Just get over being afraid or feeling awkward! Get over yourself and tell someone they are good! There's a scene in "My Best Friend's Wedding" where Michael is explaining to Jules that his fiance told him that "If you love someone you say it, you say it right then, out loud, or the moment passes you by". Share the love! I promise (in a semi-selfish way) that it will even make you feel better too. It's a way to follow the call to be a disciple, anyway. Do you really think that for the 3 years they were traipsing around the Holy Land, Jesus never told his followers, "hey, you're doing a great job following" or "you loved that person today, way to go"? Granted, in scripture we see Him tell them things they were doing not-so-great (ways to improve, if you will, but there's something to positive reinforcement, and I'm certain that the Messiah knew that and did it from time to time. Tough love is good, but Love is best. Take a tip from the Big Guy - say nice things to people this week. You will never know the impact your kind words can have on another...again allow me to emphasize that this isn't some run-of-the-mill "you're really nice" comment.

The more you can recognize God in others, the good in someone else, and are able to call it out in another, the more you yourself will know your own goodness, and ultimately come to know God more. Love begets Love. Challenge...put a nice sticky note on your roommate's desk, your barista's tip jar, your professors mailbox, etc. Do SOMETHING!!!! Let someone know they are good and loved. It's one of the greatest ways we can spread the Light around. Don't hide it under a bushel - NO! Let it shine, silly. Love wins. Always. Bottom line. In the face of adversity, Love wins. Love somebody today with a little affirmation. Love is what sticks around, after all.

1 comment:

  1. This is the reason I love your blog. It's funny because it's happy. And it's happy because you're full of Love.

    ReplyDelete