Saturday, June 5, 2010

Got bad roots?

This morning (afternoon rather) as I was about to jump in the shower, I checked out my hair. It was looking particularly messy and as I tried to run my fingers through the "wavstruls" (that's wavy-straight-curls) I noticed that my tendrils were a few different colors. You see, I've dyed my hair a lot. Okay, not a lot, but a good amount. I have blonde hair naturally....in the summer it gets really blonde. I like it darker. Hazelnut actually. (That's the name of the color I use.) Last time I dyed it was a few months ago and now I have blonde roots with slightly darker hair, which ironically is the opposite of most people. Traditionally, as a tidbit for those of you who may be living under a rock, most women go from brown to blonde hair. I am different, ergo special and unique. (Joke.) But I digress. I have roots. They don't look too terrible but they are noticeable....to me at least (and Aaron who tends to point out all my flaws as a good big brother should).

As I hopped into the shower, it hit me (rather, God hit me): bad roots are like sins or wounds in our lives. We make decisions to sin or people make choices that hurt us and while there is healing, ultimate mercy and forgiveness in the Sacraments, we have to live and readjust our lives to the consequences. Just as I have to deal with my blonde roots for quite some time until it completely grows out (or the sun naturally lightens it) so we have to cope with brokenness due to wounds either from our own choices or those of others who have hurt us intentionally or unintentionally.

Because my hair has been dyed, I have to condition it every day. We all have "bad roots" in some aspect of our lives and we need the conditioning power of Christ and prayer to grow healthier. We've got to not just pray some times, but every day. To get healthy hair, it might even mean seeking help from a trusted friend or someone wiser than ourselves to help with our "bad roots", and that's okay. That doesn't mean we're hopeless or helpless, it just means we could use a hand from a hairstylist who knows a thing or two.  It can be hard to recognize that we need some one, that we need help, that we need God...but He is bigger than it all, uses professionals to helps us, and can handle whatever crazy colors we've put in our mane.

Be open to God's severe and benevolent mercy and intense love in your life. Chances are, he's gonna show it to you in an ordinary way. You've gotta be listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment