Thursday, June 3, 2010

What's the story, morning glory?

For those of you lacking a pop culture reference point, that was a line in the musical "Bye Bye Birdie" long before it was the album title (and song) from the band Oasis. Tidbit for the day. You're welcome.

I love stories. Right now, I am nearing the end of a book I have recently been utterly engulfed with -  "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers. Check it out from your local library. Buy it. Listen to it. I don't care how you read it, just read it. (This goes for the guys too.) Redeeming Love is a novel based on the book of Hosea from the Bible and is set in the 1850s, during the time of the gold rush in California. Now, you may be thinking to yourself, "Becca, how can this be?" Well, my dear friend...it can be very good. Trust me here...I was immediately sucked in. I could go on and on (and on) about why I love this book so much, but I digress. That can be for another blog another day. The point of today is all about the story.

For some of you, you may know Scripture really well like Lord Farquaad knew the Muffin Man in Shrek. (I didn't use the phrase "like the back of your hand" because I do not like it for many reasons, one of which being that I could not draw the back of my hand without looking at it, ergo defeating the purpose of knowing it at all.) I pretty much know the story of Hosea. A brief synopsis: God tells Hosea to marry a prostitute, Gomer, who continues to cheat and betray him, but Hosea stays faithful...it's a story that shows God's faithfulness to his people Israel. Great story. God loves intensely and without exception when we do not. (Yet another reason why God is God and I am not.) See, I know it...basically. God is triumphant. There's a struggle but in the end, He wins. The devil loses. Story of Salvation in a nutshell. Boom. I know that in this novel that I am so engrossed in, that God will win and Love will be triumphant. I know this, I do. But, I am freaking out about how the end will play out! How will Love conquer all??? I mean, I know it will, but honestly HOW?!?!

We do this a lot in life.

We know that God will save the day. We know that Love endures all things. We know that God is a Father who keeps His promises. We know that Jesus conquered death.

We know the end of the story.

Maybe God has spoken to you in prayer a truth so TRUE that it cuts deep in the tissues of your heart. I've been there. (Remember, I'm the girl that God speaks to in the bathroom.) Maybe you are learning for the first time that God loves you and has a plan for you that includes your happiness (go figure) and that He gave everything for you without condition. Maybe you think this a load of poo that deserves to be in the toilet.
Whatever you think right now, wherever you're at, God wins. We (maybe it's just me) think too much about the "how" not enough about the "why". "How will God win?" "How will Love conquer?" "How will these promises be fulfilled?"
Ask instead today "Why will God win?" "Why will Love conquer?" "Why will these promises be fulfilled?" You'll find your answer in the question: God is Love and cannot go back on His word.

The story God has written is "beautifully and wonderfully made". We know the end - God wins. I'm not at all saying sit on your butt, read this blog and wait for God to win - do things! What I am saying is that if we do nothing, we just wait in suspense (much like I am with this book....omg it's so good). Take part in your story. Read THE story (that would be Scripture). Know the author and you know the story. Learn the story and know it like the Muffin Man.

I have no clue how God will do things. At all. I have some ideas, but I'm usually wrong. Maybe I'm wrong just so God can show me how right He is. I do, however, know that God will do it because He loves me. He is Love. Sometimes life doesn't make sense. Sometimes it seems stupid and we can get down on ourselves and doubt that God is there and He's listening. Trust me, I've been there. Lots of times. But I get back up off my sorry butt and stay faithful to Him because He is faithful to me.  An you.

"I will be with you as I was with Moses: I will not leave you nor forsake you. I command you: be firm and steadfast! Do not fear nor be dismayed, for the LORD, your God, is with you wherever you go." - Joshua 1:5, 9

The end of the story is set. Don't worry about the "how" - God has that. He wants you to live the "why". 

Jezu Ufam Tobie.

3 comments:

  1. This came from the Lord while I washed my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome blog, becca. keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I seriously just read this book last week as well. I was at the conclusion that God is always faithful even when we do stupid stuff over and over and over again - he is still right on our butts and doesn't let us forget it. Amazing how we read the same book at the same time. Love it.

    ReplyDelete