Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sweet dreams are made of these, who am I to disagree

Yes, I did just use a Eurythmics song as a title, thanks for noticing.

Tangent before we start: Why are all the people in the new Snuggie commercial doing the Macarena? Did I miss the time-space continuum that the entire world apparently fell in to? Dis. Sturb. Bing.

Another tangent: I think that I have a very large brain that constantly needs to be stimulated. Currently, as I write, I'm drinking some delish Cafe DuMond Coffee (in a monster sized artsy mug, of course), listening to my iTunes (Mr. Big's "To Be With You"...an excellent ballad from the 90's), as well as watching "Real Housewives of New York" on mute. Do not judge me. Sometimes, watching other people's train wrecks can give you great perspective on your own life...and, let's be honest, make you feel better about yourself some times. Bless their hearts.

Speaking of blessing hearts, I had a fantastic conversation with a good friend of mine...a sister of mine actually. Her name is Kate and the following reflection is really from what God shared with her and she, in turn, shared with me. So Kate, thanks for your insight ahead of time...it's been rocking my heart the past few days...it might rock yours, my dear reader. And we're off:

The Annunciation is one of my favorite mysteries of the Rosary. You know the story, Mary, a sinless and most perfect virgin, is found to be preggers in quite a mysterious way by the Holy Spirit. In the Gospel of Matthew, chapter one to be precise, Joseph finds out, and he kind of freaks out. Now, I try to think about what happened to Josephs heart when he found out the woman he was supposed to be with was pregnant in some crazy way that he couldn't really understand, and as hard as she tried, Mary probably couldn't articulate exactly what happened (hence the mystery of the rosary). Now Joseph, although scared, was a stand up guy and wanted to end the relationship quitely so that Mary wouldn't be persecuted to the fullest by the village people with their pitchforks and clubs. The Scripture continues to say that an angel appeared to Joseph (apparently guys named Joseph tend to have dreams, see Genesis 37 and following).  He told Joseph what was up, to not be afraid, to marry Mary (ha, word play) and that the child was from the Holy Spirit and he should name him Jesus. He also quotes some old scripture that Joseph was familiar with and then, ol' Joe woke up and did as he was told.

There's a lot happening in these 8 verses. The thing that strikes me the most is the timing - it's horrible! I guess that goes to show that God has His own timing, eh? It's proven even in the timing of Jesus' conception. If you read the scripture and really think about it...there's not even a time stamp. I mean, the author doesn't share with the group about how long it took until Joseph had a dream. Can you imagine Mary's heartache? I mean, here's this young girl, and while yes, she was sinless, the man that was set aside for her was pretty much freaking out and seemingly MIA. Now, I know Mary is pretty much "IT" when it comes to being a disciple and saying "Fiat" to the Lord, but can you imagine her heartache? I can. I've been there. Maybe you have too, I hope to God you haven't, it's the most sucky pain. But in all seriousness, who knows how long Mary had to wait. All she had to cling to was the promise of God - that her "yes" had changed the world, and allowed for Love itself to become flesh, to be Incarnate for all of time, for salvation to be won with a simple word from a humble girl. This humble girl waited and trusted that God would take care of her and His only Son. She loved Joseph, sure. But more than that, she loved her Lord. And she trusted.

In His most perfect time, God worked on Joseph. He had the truth knocked into his brain and could say nothing but "Fiat" himself. I'm sure he felt a lot of pressure to raise and protect these precious treasures of God, but again, he also trusted. He loved the Lord even more than his beloved...which is how it's supposed to be.

Mary's Immaculate and Sorrowful Heart and her Son's Sacred and Eucharistic Heart beat as one, sharing the same blood which trusted and loved the Lord. Joseph, set aside for Mary, had one heck of a heart too, one which was scared by the Truth, then was able to recieve the love and peace of God, and trusted Him above all else, all the while, loving the most perfect woman and Son.

Both Mary and Joseph waited on the Lord and look what He did - salvation! Hello. McFly.

So have hope. Live and love like Mary and Joseph do.

A Scripture to close with....
"The law is fulfilled without fail, and perfect wisdom is found in the mouth of the faithful man. A man with training gains wide knowledge; a man of experience speaks sense. One never put to the proof knows little, whereas with travel a man adds to his resourcefulness. I have seen much in my travels, learned more than ever I could say. Often I was in danger of death, but by these attainments I was saved. Lively is the courage of those who fear the LORD, for they put their hope in their savior;He who fears the LORD is never alarmed, never afraid; for the LORD is his hope. Happy the soul that fears the LORD! In whom does he trust, and who is his support? The eyes of the LORD are upon those who love him; he is their mighty shield and strong support, A shelter from the heat, a shade from the noonday sun, a guard against stumbling, a help against falling. He buoys up the spirits, brings a sparkle to the eyes, gives health and life and blessing." - Sirach 34:8-17

Jezu Ufam Tobie

No comments:

Post a Comment