Saturday, September 4, 2010

Becca is a proud sponsor of the Disney Channel, bringing readers together

*I'd like to first state that, the things that are underlined are in fact hyper-links and are meant to be clicked on...they usually bring in a pop-culture reference to make something more real, or, in most cases, funnier. So, click them.*

I am sick. There might be very few things that are worse (rather, more inconvenient) than being sick in the summer....the summer flu. It reminds me of a scene from The O.C., where it's made light of. Granted, I am not in the same boat as Seth's character - he's faking sick - but I am sick. It sucks.

I'm actually supposed to be at a wedding RIGHT NOW as I blog. I had to cancel my flight because I have a fever and flu-like things. Bleh. This all adds to the frustration of being sick.

When I'm sick, I don't have much of an appetite or drive. What I do have is a fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell. Kidding...I crave fast food when I'm sick. I'm like a pregnant woman - I don't feel any better until I have a burger and fries, namely, from Whataburger. If you're not from Texas, you don't understand. I am this close to hiring an assistant to go buy me a burger.

Since I'm sick, with nothing to do and nobody to really talk to, I've got a lot of time on my hands. Last night, when I woke up from a coma at 7pm, I watched (gulp) Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam. Please don't judge me. I like the Disney Channel. It's mind-numbing and funny - all the makings of a good comfort when one is sick.

(Sidenote - I haven't watched a lot of TV lately, but the stuff I have watched has made me angry: dumb plot lines, people fighting for the spotlight, etc. I'll share more about that later. Just know it's coming soon.)

Anyway, so there I was, sprawled out of the couch, blanket engulfing me while a roll of TP sat in my lap to catch the constant drippage and coughs and I held onto my cup of tea with all my strength. Camp Rock 2 was...like HSM went to camp with worse dance moves. I'm sorry, but there is one girl who they hired who just doesn't have much rhythm. Maybe I'm picky because I was once a dancer (nothing extravagant or perfect by any means) and I have high expectations when one dances on TV (sorry Kate Gosselin). The whole movie was disappointing, but I stuck with it because, due to the cloud that was setting up residence in my head, I wanted to pretend my life was in fact a musical for the night.

(Sidenote #2 - I like to pretend that often. I am a fan of dancing around and singing to music, pretending that I am, in fact, really good, and in a musical. Confession: I always do this in the bathroom while I get ready for the day. You ever seen Taylor Swift's "You Belong With Me"? Yeah...that's what I do. The funny thing is, chances are you do it too, but it's one of those things that is taboo to talk about...until you walk in on your roommate dancing around their room in their robe, pretending that they are the newest cast member on "Glee", singing "Faithfully" at regionals.)

Something funny I noticed whilst I entered into the nothingness of the Disney Channel made-for-tv movie: Disney is getting outside sponsors now. Maybe this is stupid info for you and you're thinking "Becca, what are you talking about? Aren't you too old for Disney?", to which I respond, "No, one of my life goals is to be a Disney princess" (which is a future entry all-together). Whatever you're thinking, the fact is, Disney now has little commercials from companies like Verizon and Dodge Caravan. They're not even real commercials - they are usually a flash of the sponsor name with the "Disney voice-over guy" saying "Verizon is a proud sponsor of Disney Channel...bringing families together". Now, I'm glad that Disney is bringing families together. I just think it's funny that, not too long ago, Disney only was sponsored on air by...themselves. The "commercials" were always promoting their own programming, music videos of Disney Channel stars, previews for their own movies, etc. They are a self-run machine and powerhouse - they rule the media all on their own. And they're trying to focus on the family. Even one of their newer shows "Good Luck Charlie" is all about a bigger family (4 kids) with married parents and the hilarity that ensues after the fourth child, Charlie, is kind of a surprise. I'll admit - it's really funny. My housemate and I laugh at it...a lot. But I digress.

There's not so much a moral of this story. It's mostly an observation I have made. I wonder what is happening at the Disney corp and why they have begun to seek outside advertisers on their channel. Now, I understand that Disney is one with ABC and ESPN....one company, three divisions (Trinity joke, which probably fell short of the "joke" realm, landing nearby in "almost-offensive-town", sorry...blame the flu). But needless to say, it's one of those changes that make you think.

I don't know what Disney Channel will look like once "It's On! - Summer 2010" is over. I'll be expecting some newer, brighter, more stimulating and obnoxious color-scheme of a program. You should too. Or not. Go read a book. That's what I'm going to go do. Disney Channel promotes reading and fitness a lot on TV, which is kind of ironic.

Anyway, my head is cloudy, just like the sky here in Houston today...a little overcast and cool - way off from what summer is usually like. Hey look - my health parallels the weather....weird. Becca out.

Jezu Ufam Tobie.

No comments:

Post a Comment